2021 will see the tenth summer of the restoration work. Restoration work has been done with volunteers from the all over the country through the Passport-in-Time program. So far the building has been re-roofed, jacked up and had a new foundation installed. Floors have been repaired; plumbing and electrical wiring has been replaced. The restoration of the interior is nearly completed.
Upon completion, the Guard Station will appear as it was original constructed. The Forest Service then plans to go through the process to list it as a rental. The rental fees will then go into a fund for continued maintenance of the building.
Thank you to all those who have donated so far.
The La Wis Wis Guard Station was constructed in the 1930’s by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC’s). It is one of many historic buildings constructed in that era on the Columbia (now Gifford Pinchot) National Forest.
The CCCs’s were formed in 1933 by President Franklin D. Roosevelt as a way to employ young men when there were no jobs during the Great Depression. Many young men came to the area from the large cities. The CCC’s taught them many skills and they built many roads, bridges and buildings in the area and all over Washington. They were provided with food and lodging and pay. Part of their pay was sent home to their families.
Donations to this project can be mailed to the White Pass Country Historical Society at PO Box 958 Packwood, WA 98361. Please mark it for the La Wis Wis Guard Station.